I didn’t know much about load balancing prior to checking out Kemp Technologies VLM100. It was an interesting journey to learn about which I will share in a later post.
The VLM100 is a virtual appliance, just like it’s physical counter part in performance but in the convenience of adding into your existing virtual infrastructure. Now VLM works with both Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware and is just as easy to install and configure on both.
Virtual LoadMaster installs and runs as a hardened, ‘Guest’ operating OS/Application on a dedicated virtual machine. It provides the same features of the LoadMaster appliance including L4 load balancing, L7 content switching, SSL Offload, Server and Application Health Checking, IP and L7 Persistence, Caching, Compression, IPS and much more. It also supports stateful Active/Hot-standby configuration between two VLMs for redundancy and high-availability. All controlled by the same intuitive, easy-to-use Web User Interface as the hardware-appliance version of the LoadMaster.
The LoadMaster Provides:
- Six layer-4 load balancing and scheduling methods
- Layer 7 Content Switching
- ICMP and Application-level server health checks
- Nine layer 4 and layer 7 persistence/sticky choices
- Layer 7 persistence with SSL traffic
- SSL Acceleration/Offload (All Models)
- Support for up to 1000 Servers and up to 1000 VIPs (Clusters)
- High Availability configurations with Active/Hot-standby
- High-performance hardware platforms and Virtual Appliances
- All solid state – no disk drives
- Ultra-low power consumption models
- Throughput range of 300Mbps – 6Gbps
- 1st year comprehensive maintenance and support included
- Caching, Compression, Intrusion Prevention System
This process was fairly simple and straightforward. I added the VMDK to my Fusion install and powered on the machine. Once the vm was loaded You can see in the image below where you are asked for a username and then password
After logging in you are quickly prompted for your license key. You are giving an access code which Kemp Technologies uses to generate your specific key. Each license is tied to the host that the machine is installed on and the key would be different on multiple machines.
The following screens from here are pretty simple and easy to follow and is referred to as the Quick Setup. In this process you will be asked for-
- Primary eth0 IP address- which is where you can access the web interface.
- Hostname- The machine name just like any other computer
- Name (DNS) Servers address- have the IP addresses of your DNS and name servers ready to input here.
- Domain list- Internal DNS namespaces which are relevant to your configuration.
- Default gateway- IP address which acts as your default gateway.
After the values are entered I suggest rebooting the system. You can then access the web interface from any computer with-in your network. I as you can see from my images I tested that the web interface works on an iPad.
As you can see it is pretty simple to read and understand what you are looking at. One thing I have enjoyed during this was how simple it was.
Now you can also modify the system configuration with-in the web client as well. A nice bonus if you don’t want to go into the console.
Along with being able to use the web interface you can use the console as well for some management.
Now for this review I didn’t go way into a lot about the product. I added a few servers for usability purposes. However I am going to run the trial until the end and continue to see how it performs.
This is the only load balancer I have played with. I do not know how other competitors compare with them. I do like how easy are to maintain and install. One major factor for me giving thumbs up to them is the staff has been great. I have been talking with Lauren in their sales department and she was very helpful and not pushy with me at all. This goes along way with me. Not only is this a quality product they have good staff to support the product as well.
If you are in the market for a load balancer I would definitely give them a look. You can try their VLM products free.