When I attended a special Webex for EMC Elect and heard topic was on SRM I immediately thought about VMware’s SRM (Site Recovery Manager) product. Now this is where list of Tech Acronyms comes in handy for all of us. I am actually talking about EMC Storage Resource Manager Suite. Today they are releasing SRM v3.0 & ViPR v1.1.
We will look at the Storage Resource Manager in this post though.
Is a software suite designed to help you gain a better understanding on what your storage is doing and how you can improve it. By providing various trend and analysis reports SRM v3.0 will help you achieve just that.
- Performance Trending and Reporting
- Analyze performance from Host, Switch, and Array perspective
- Storage and Application capacity trends
- Reports capacity use across heterogeneous environments
- Analyzes capacity by service or FAST policy
- Storage Configuration Management
- Define Polices
- Validate compliance to EMC Support Matrix
- Ensure proper configuration to meet service levels
- SLA Achievement Reporting
- Unified alerting for hosts, switches, arrays
- Application Chargeback
- Move applications to lower-cost storage without violating SLAs
- Identify underutilized capacity
- Reclaim orphaned storage
New in v3.0
They have taken ProSphere, Storage Configuration Advisor and Watch4net and mashed them together in a killer combo.
- Integrated product
- Single Architecture
- Consolidated Alerts
- VAPP-Based Deployment Option
- New Platforms
- Data Protection Advisor
- VI Virtual Wisdom
- Use-Case Driven UI
- Report Library
- Host Capacity utilization
- Powerpath metrics
Architecture is also new in v3.0
*information was obtained from EMC
You can also check out this short video
This is what I have been waiting for with EMC, to gain access to information so I can write more about their products to keep you all up to date and talk about the company that is literally 5 minutes from my house. SRM suite looks nice from what I saw on it, I would love to get my hands actually on a copy to play around with and just try and break it.