The vCenter support assistant is a free appliance from VMware that assists in submitting support cases to VMware while collecting relevant logs. This should be installed in every environment now BEFORE you have a problem! The installation is very easy:
- Deploy the OVF as any other and power on.
- Set the root password at boot
- Configure your network settings
- Navigate to the URL/IP of your vCenter Support Assisant
- Register the plugin via the Support Assistant web ui (should get a message that it registered successfully
- If you are still using the Windows client, you should now have a vCenter Support Assistant option under Solutions and Applications, if you are using the Web Client, there are some additional steps to take.
- The vCenter support assistant checks to ensure it is working properly.
- Click Next and log into My VMware and start creating SRs!