I am a gadget guy, I love them. My wife says I have way to many like watches who can have enough right? At home and in the office I have multiple monitors and it’s what I am use too now. I thought it would be great to have a portable monitor that I could take with me while on the road. Then I found out that HP makes a USB travel monitor!
The product I have been using is the HP EliteDisplay S140u usb monitor.
HP EliteDisplay S140u
14 inch portable display powered by usb 3.0 designed to be a mobile second monitor for when on the go.
|Display Size (Diagonal):||14″|
|Resolution:||1600 x 900|
|Display Pixel:||0.193 mm|
|Brightness (Typical):||200 cd/m²|
|Viewing Angle:||90° horizontal; 50° vertical|
|Response Time (Typical):||8 ms on/off|
Plug and Play
|I/O Ports:||1 USB 3.0|
|Dimensions and Weight|
|Weight:||3.28 lb (1.49 kg)|
|Dimensions (W x D x H):||13.6 x 0.53 x 8.55 in (without cover); 13.6 x 0.63 x 8.63 in (with cover) (34.58 x 1.35 x 21.71 cm (without cover); 34.58 x 1.6 x 22.11 cm (with cover))|
|Power and Operating Requirements|
|Power Supply:||USB supplied power|
|Power Consumption:||7 W (maximum), 4 W (typical), 0.5 W (standby)|
|Operating Tempature Range:||41 to 95°F (5 to 35°C)|
The Exterior is a matte black finish like on my Elitebook G1.
Here are a few pros I found while using the product.
- Very portable – Fits in my backpack with laptop and other accessories with no problems. Sometimes I forget it’s there.
- Comes with a cover which doubles as a stand
- Only needs the usb 3.0 cable – this has two ends for usb 2.0 ports. (i didn’t test this on a system with usb 3.0 port)
- Easy install – just install driver and it works
Here are a few drawbacks I found
- Have to download the driver and install – on two machines running Windows 8 and 8.1 drivers did not self install (not sure if this is by design or not)
- Not MAC compatible (only Windows compatible)
I really like using this extra monitor, when you do quite a bit of work from hotel rooms having it is great. If you are a road warrior I would recommend it. One thing I am going to see how I can use this when doing some recordings with Jonathan Frappier from Virtxpert.com and just in general.
If you have thought about getting a good portable monitor the HP EliteDisplay S140u is a good choice. With the couple drawbacks I found they are easily overcome by the ability to have dual monitors anywhere. I am actually using it right now while I write this post from my brother in-laws house.
Please note while I work for HP, this review is my own. I was not asked to provide this or any review by HP and have not been compensated.